The Perfect BreakfastHow do you start your morning? For me, I try to constantly update and add to my routine (daily meditation is currently on the am agenda). But one thing that never changes is my morning smoothie. I got into making them when I started running long distances in Mexico City. The altitude there is brutal, and not being fuelled properly would guarantee running out of steam pretty quickly. To this day, smoothies are my go to breakfast meal. The key when making a great smoothie is variety. I’ve put together a list of 5 musts when it comes to blending a nutritious and delicious smoothie.
Choose Your Fruit
1. Frozen fruitMixed berries are rich in antioxidants and bananas add potassium and creaminess. If you have bananas that are getting ripe they can be sliced and frozen.
Add Extra Nutritional Value
2. Chia seeds and hemp heartsI rarely make a smoothie without adding chia and hemp hearts. They are nutritional powerhouses and aid in hydration while providing omegas, fiber and extra protein.
Everything is Better with Nut Butter
3. Nut buttersAdding a tablespoon of almond, peanut or sunflower butter to a smoothie allows you to have more protein, and pairs well with mostly any fruit combo.
Avoid Excess Sugar
4. Stay away from adding juiceInstead of juice, which adds unnecessary sugar, choose your favourite milk (I prefer almond).
Kale or Spinach? Yes to both!
5. Add on some vegSince I stopped eating meat, my iron intake has always been a concern. Adding greens to your smoothie not only provides you with vitamins, but it also helps with getting fiber.
This superfood recipe is my go-to smoothie at home. I hope it becomes your favourite too!Ingredients 2 cups mixed berries 1 frozen banana (previously sliced) ½ cup kale or baby spinach 1 tsp chia seeds 1 tsp hemp seeds 1 tbsp rolled oats 1 scoop protein powder (I use a Vegan one) 2 cups almond milk 1 tbsp peanut butter ½ tsp cinnamon Extra chia and hemp hearts to add after blended Directions Blend all ingredients until creamy, top with extra chia and hemp hearts and enjoy! Sometimes pouring out a thick smoothie can get messy, but since Caesarstone’s countertops are so easy to clean, it’s no problem. I just wipe down with soap and water. In my kitchen Quartz countertop from Caesarstone in Montblanc. Caesarstone counters are not only scratch and stain resistant, but they’re also made from up to 93% quartz which means they’re more durable than granite or marble and resistant to heat and cold. Perfect for smoothie making!